Council Says No to Greens’ Push for ‘Tree-Only’ Flood Fix

by | Aug 28, 2025 | News, Politics | 0 comments

Ballina Shire Council has voted down a Greens push to remove some engineering projects from the shortlist of potential flood mitigation measures, highlighting an irony that while the party regularly cites CSIRO science on climate change, it has little faith in the agency’s methodology on local flood planning.

The motion, brought by Cr Kiri Dicker, mirrored one put to Rous County Council by Byron Greens delegates last week, which was also rejected.

Greens voice concerns

Cr Dicker told councillors the $11 million CSIRO-led Northern Rivers Resilience Initiative was flawed and too narrow in focus.

“The methodology is poor. The process lacks transparency and risks repeating the mistakes of the past,” she said.

 “The Richmond River is the sickest river in New South Wales, yet this consultation considers flood mitigation in isolation from river health. That is undemocratic.”

She pointed to a pilot project upstream of Lismore, where intensive creek plantings are being trialled as part of a so-called “nature-based solutions” pilot that’s already funded and underway.

Richmond Landcare’s Louisa Rogers, addressing councillors in support, said the early results looked promising.

“Our approach is about scale – denser plantings, lots of lomandra, and soil improvement.

“Even a one percent increase in organic matter can hold 30,000 litres of water per hectare,” Ms Rogers said.

Ballina Shire Greens Councillors; Erin Karsten, Kiri Dicker and Simon Chate

The result

Independent councillors were unmoved, declining to even engage in the debate.  When put to the vote, Cr Dicker’s motion was defeated 6–3.

The CSIRO’s revised shortlist of projects is due next month, with a final report later this year to assess which combination of measures could most effectively reduce flood heights.

Any works will still require detailed environmental and feasibility studies before construction begins.

Rod Bruem

Rod Bruem

Rod Bruem began his career as a cadet journalist at the Lithgow Mercury in 1985 and went on to work in other regional daily newspapers, radio and TV, including time at Australia’s top newsroom at TCN9 Sydney. Bruem has advised Federal independent and LNP Ministers and MPs and spent nearly two decades as a corporate communications adviser to Telstra. Rod moved to the Ballina region in 2014, publishing a national travel magazine and later becoming breakfast host at 101.9 Paradise FM. From 2022 he served a term as councillor on Ballina Shire Council and the Rous County Council before leaving to co-found the Ballina News Daily.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Reading

Nine Extra Nurses for Ballina, But Mayor Warns Hospital Still Falling Short
Nine Extra Nurses for Ballina, But Mayor Warns Hospital Still Falling Short

Nine Extra Nurses for Ballina, But Mayor Warns Hospital Still Falling Short

Ballina Hospital will receive nine extra nurses under the NSW Government’s rollout of safe staffing ratios — a reform designed to guarantee minimum nurse-to-patient ratios in emergency departments across the state. But Ballina Mayor Sharon Cadwallader says while...