Cocaine, cannabis and meth: woman charged after 200kmh speed chase near Wardell

Police allege a drug-fuelled pursuit at up to 200km/h ended in a crash near Wardell late on Saturday night, leaving a 33-year-old woman facing multiple traffic and drug charges.

Officers from Ballina Traffic and Highway Patrol say they attempted to stop a hatchback on Langs Way, Woodburn, about 11pm on Saturday as part of a statewide drug driving blitz.

When the driver allegedly failed to stop, police began a pursuit heading towards Ballina. 

Officers allege the hatchback reached speeds of up to 200km/h before the chase was terminated due to safety concerns.

A short time later, the car crashed near Wardell.

Police say a 33 year-old woman who they allege was the driver escaped the vehicle uninjured and she was arrested nearby. 

During a search of the woman and the vehicle, police allege they located prohibited drugs.

The woman was taken to Ballina Police Station, where an oral fluid test allegedly returned a positive result for cannabis, methamphetamine and cocaine. 

She was charged with police pursuit – not stop – drive recklessly, possess prohibited drug and class A vehicle exceed speed limit greater than 45km/h. 

She is due to appear before Ballina Local Court on Thursday February 26.

Northern Region among highest drug-driving detections

The Wardell incident occurred during Operation RAID (Remove All Impaired Drivers), a statewide NSW Police traffic operation targeting alcohol, drugs and fatigue between February 12 and 15.

Across the Northern Region – which includes Ballina and surrounding shires – police issued 1,803 infringement notices, including 480 for speeding.

Officers carried out 25,084 breath tests, laying 44 drink-driving (PCA) charges in the north. They also conducted 1,966 roadside drug tests, with 166 drivers returning positive samples for illicit substances.

Police recorded 43 major crashes in the Northern Region during the operation. No fatalities were reported in the north over the three days, but three people died on NSW roads statewide.

Statewide blitz finds 604 alleged drug drivers

NSW-wide, police say Operation RAID saw 9,126 drug tests carried out, with 604 people returning positive samples for illegal drugs.

More than 121,000 breath tests were conducted, leading to 167 drink-driving offences.

While the focus was impaired driving, the high-visibility operation also resulted in more than 6,500 traffic infringement notices across the state – including 1,695 for speed-related offences, 267 for mobile phone use and 77 for restraint-related offences such as not wearing a seatbelt.

Police Minister Yasmin Catley said the crackdown on impaired driving would continue beyond the long weekend operation.

“Too many lives have been shattered because someone thought they were fine to drive when they weren’t,” Ms Catley said.

“Police are out there every day, but they can’t be everywhere – we need drivers to make better, safer choices for themselves, their passengers and everyone else on the road.”

Police Highway Patrol Commander David Driver said the number of drivers allegedly affected by drugs and alcohol remained a serious concern.

“People affected by drugs, alcohol and fatigue are some of the most dangerous behaviours we see on our roads because all of them slow reactions, impair judgement and put every road user at risk,” Assistant Commissioner Driver said.

He said drug use behind the wheel was particularly worrying.

“Data indicates that 24 per cent of fatalities on NSW roads involve the presence of illicit substances. Last year, there were over 28,000 positive roadside drug indications, with police conducting more than 215,000 random drug tests.

“Drivers need to understand that when they consume any illicit drug, the chances of being involved in a fatal crash increase.”

Ballina Shire Weather

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Leave A Comment

Read more local news